Friday 31 May 2013

Coachford, corners, and clavicles.

This is an off-the-bike post. I've not cycled for two weeks now. It's been rough.

Playlist: Trouble Will Find Me - The National
Distance today: 0 km
Total: 1996 km

I've finally gotten around to writing a post covering my accident, and that's mainly down to feeling much better. 

First I want to show you this awesome t-shirt I bought for only €15. Picked it up on sale from wiggle.co.uk. It's a long sleeve, super comfy, and totally awesome. 



Moving swiftly on.

So the date of accident was May 17th. It was a lovely Friday afternoon, chance of rain but things were looking good. I cycled out to CIT to meet the club and was greeted by a very tired Elliott who had stayed up very late studying for an exam he sat that day. Hopefully all went well! We talked about the usual stuff, our bikes, the weather, the Giro and the plans for the summer. Shortly 'The Rocket' rolled up, and we continued with much the same, although with the added French accent*. 

*It is a well known fact that adding a Frenchman to a discussion on cycling increases the authenticity of the content. 

We waited around to see if anyone else might join us. The only members I've met are the two here (Elliott and Erwan), along with Killian, and Joe who were out the other days I've been out with the club. 

No one else came so we decided to get ready. At this point, Elliott was feeling the effects of his late night study session and subsequent exam. It had taken a toll on him. We thought about doing a nice flat route, but Elliot thought he might just cycle with us some of the way and head on home. Fair enough, when you don't have the legs, you don't have the legs. 

Erwan and I decided that we would start the day with the climb in Sunday's Well that ruined me before. I was eager to see how much I may have improved; hills are still tough for me. We headed on out Carrigrohane Road toward Victoria Cross. Elliott turned left down the Lee Road and we turned right to Sunday's Well. 

The climb was tough, it wasn't as tough as the first time I tried it, but I certainly took the first corner too quickly and tired myself out. I probably wasn't in the best gear either; I'm still trying to get familiar with exactly what gear I can keep a steady out-of-saddle cadence with. Watching Erwan (The Rocket) pedal effortlessly up climbs is a real encouragement, and is something I hope to be capable of myself someday. 

I had to stop a few times going up, my body just couldn't bring my weight up the steep gradient. It was tough; 105kg + 10kg bike is not an easy thing to power up even a Cat 5 climb. Erwan has a lighter bike and is between 60kg and 70kg so sure it's easier, but he's also well trained for it. I didn't walk it though, that's the important part. I may have stopped for a few seconds (more like 30 seconds) here and there and clipped back in and motored on after catching my breath. We eventually made it up anyway, and turned off toward Blarney. From here it would be much lower gradients and since we were high up now, we got to enjoy some lovely descents. 

The first descent was nice, the road wasn't too bad and once again my weight had me exceeding 50km/h while coasting down the hill. Erwan had to pedal to keep up with me. Ha, finally some use for the weight! 

Descents are nice, I seem to recover after climbs about as quickly as I tire from them. I guess for now that's an acceptable situation, but one I hope to remedy in time.

Once we passed through Blarney we found ourselves back on the road to Coachford. A road we are all too familiar with. It varies in terrain which can go from lovely, to bouncy, back to lovely, and suddenly absolutely terrible. Roads, Ireland sure knows how to make them.

It was a grand day out, Erwan and I were able to chat the whole time as we more or less rode next to each other, keeping pace, all the while chatting about the Giro and the mysteries of life*. I think the pace was in the 26-30km/h range which was okay, sometimes it got a little tougher, but I prefer a lower cadence cycle so I'm usually in a nice gear on the big ring; Elliott seems to be the opposite, he loves a high cadence, that man has some serious love for the small ring.

*It is surprising how fast you can drift off when cycling. If you're cycling alone you may not even remember thinking about anything in particular. I've often just enjoyed the scenery and the 'fresh' air. When you're riding with someone you'll talk about anything and everything. 

Once again I was checking my bloods every hour, you've got to be safe on the bike when you're riding with a dodgy pancreas. Hills use your glycogen stores and you better make sure you're 100% for them. Dextrose is my hero. 

Oh, this reminds me, food on the bike! Erwan doesn't eat on the bike. What the hell? The Frenchman is crazy. I couldn't do it if I tried. Not if I intend feeling good off the bike and the next day.  Menu for the day was peanut butter & jam sandwiches and bananas. Glorious. 

So we got to Coachford, had a small break, I refreshed my water bottle and energy drink. We joked about the new €5 note, riveting stuff I know, and quickly clipped ourselves in and continued on. 

Took the hill that broke my spoke a fair bit easier this time. I'm glad I did, the road really is treacherous. So I was glad to get passed that without issue. We then continued on to The Windy Gap, a well known climb that seems to last forever; it was long, but wasn't tough. Sure I was only doing about 10-15km/h while Erwan probably felt like a snail. (If you're reading this, I sincerely appreciate your patience with me on those climbs)

Once we levelled off, the rain started, so we pulled in and threw on our rain jackets. It was at this point we realised the rain was in fact hailstone. Always fun to get that in your face while cycling. Poor Erwan had no eye-wear. I tried to eat one of my sandwiches while we stopped, but good grief that was dry; not the easiest thing to eat it seems. 

We got to the descent that has ended my cycling for the next few weeks. The road was slick, the corner was much tighter than expected, and things came crashing down. 

So according to my odometer, I was going about 47km/h I think I peaked just over 50 before the corner. I slowed knowing the corner was coming; you can't brake in the corner itself because you'll slip the bike out underneath you. When I got into the turn, I saw just how sharp it really was. I tried to turn the bike but it wouldn't turn as much as I needed and I could see that. I made the only choice I could and that was to brake into it and try to come down before going straight into the ditch and barrier. 

The barrier was blocking me from going over the side into the River Lee below. Yeah that wouldn't have been fun. The ditch was my saviour; when I came down the ditch made me spin and flick the bike out on the road. I landed hard on my right side and spun to have that same side facing the direction I came; the direction Erwan was approaching from at speed.

I could hear Erwan shouting, he knew he was going to hit me and I think he was pre-emptively apologising for his imminent crash into my side. His front wheel went hard (enough to leave quite a bruise) into my side and he flipped over the front of his bike, he landed right on my chest and flicked his bike over a little beyond me. I'm quite glad the bike didn't hit me, that could have caused some bad scrapes. Imagine the big ring going into you, ouch! 

It all happened so fast (I know, we were going nearly 50km/h of course it all happened fast, obviously.. ) and by the time it happened we were already picking ourselves up from the road. Somehow, no blood. Neither of us had a scrape on us. My shorts were dirty and I had loads of grass/leaves on me from the ditch. A car that was behind us pulled up, asked if we were okay and told us we were going over 40km/h. Thanks for the clarification old chap. 

I knew I was injured, I couldn't do much with my right arm and this was a little worrying at the time. My brain told me that if I wasn't writhing in pain that it was probably just from hitting the ground hard, nothing too serious.. right? It was odd to know I was hurt, and yet convince myself I was fine. 

We collected our stuff, checked our bikes and made sure we were okay. That bloody Frenchman got away without a scratch! We clipped back in and started the cycle home. I noticed I couldn't move my right arm. I had it firmly attatched to the top of my bar and wasn't able to change my gears or even attempt to move it, if I did, I got a huge shooting pain into my upper chest. This filled my head with thoughts about my collarbone.. Thoughts I shared with Erwan as we cycled back, he was concerned, but I was cycling.. so things were fine right? Nope. 

I'm fortunate my back ring was mid-way selected at the time of the accident. I was still able to change my front ring so I was able to keep a good pace and still handle the small inclines back to the city. It was torture though. I was really really suffering. 

I thought back to one of the cycling films I'd watched, I think it was the Team GSC film 'Overcoming' where one rider came down, broke his clavicle and continued on in the race. I endured, I had to get home and hope for the best. 

Erwan was noticeably worried though. The poor chap was constantly asking me how much I was suffering. I wasn't hiding it though, my grimace said it all. The pothole I hit on the way didn't help. Didn't really have the coordination to avoid it, nor did I really notice it till too late. That pain was probably the most I've experience in my life thus far, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. 

So we cycled back and I had convinced myself I was fine after we got through Ballincollig, I told Erwan I'd be able to make it home from here myself and that he should head on back Model Farm Road while I'd go back Carrigrohane, through town, and home. 

I made it to the Lee Fields. I had to stop, everything was hurting and I was tired and getting cold from the lower pace. I pulled in, sadly this meant I was going to get colder, and sent Emma a text - "In cork by chance? I may need assistance if you are.b" Note the lack of capital and the random b. I couldn't type very well, this actually took me an awful lot longer than normal too.. I had to delete so many words. 

Well my Valkyrie did not disappoint. Already near my house, and had actually phoned to see if I had been home, but of course, I was on the bike, she motored on out to me with haste! 

I was cold, so cold. My entire body was shivering and I couldn't stand up, I was sitting on the small walls of the Lee Fields, my bike resting against me. People walked, joggged, ran, and cycled past without really asking if I was okay, and trust me, I didn't look okay. This really really surprised me.. I would have expected the people who were most into their health and fitness might be the first to recognise a sporting injury and offer help; I was wrong.

Emma was an absolute hero, she took the wheels off my bike and lifted it into the car. What a woman! We drove to my place and I was in a really bad way. I couldn't really move all that well and my arm was more or less useless. I needed assistance getting the cycling gear off, don't worry I'll keep it clean folks. 

Emma got me sorted, I showered as best I could and then once again assistance was needed to get dressed and ready for A&E. I wore a hoodie and just a hoodie for my upper body. I knew I'd need something easier to get on and off. Back into the car, not an easy task mind you, and off we went. I'd warmed up so the shivering had stopped, it may have been shock, who knows?


Once we got to A&E it was the usual god awful wait, but at least the place was quiet. Our turn around time was five hours there. Went from waiting around to being given an uncomfortable fabric sling that pulled badly on my neck. The pain got too much at one point and I asked for pain relief, I think it worked well enough. Emma had gone over to Wilton to pick up supplies and I got to enjoy a lovely Roast Chicken & Stuffing sandwich. Eventually had x-rays done. These took quite a while because they couldn't find a fracture so they needed to confirm that it was a dislocation. 

When they told me it was a dislocation, my first reaction was to utter "Dislocation is usually followed by relocation right?.. fun.. " They then told me not to worry, that they can't do that for the collarbone. It is treated just like a break, it heals on its own. My dislocation by the way, is a posterior one. That means that it's been pushed backwards into my chest. This is the bad type because it's close to your lung, blood vessels, and important nerves. I was to report shortness of breath and/or any loss of feeling or tingles in my hand straight away if they occurred. 

Emma has been absolutely brilliant. She completely looked after me. I think she's earned some serious brownie points with my mum too. (Whom is probably reading this, so I hope so) We even went and saw ducks and angry geese at The Lough last Saturday after some amazing Chinese food. She has had to endure my less-than-able-bodied self, but has done so with a smile. 

So that's the breakdown of how May 17th went. 

I kept my arm in a sling for getting about last week, but I'm out of it now after visiting the physiotherapist. She recommends only using the sling for comfort if I need it, and to get stretches in and some light activity. 

I'm back gaming, although the first few times gaming I was very bad. I had to basically use the MAV when I was playing Recon in Battlefield 3 to make sure I was contributing. 

Arm is feeling good now, I have movement and I can use it for things. It hurts the most in the morning, but a lot of that pain is in the trapezium muscles. That's what the damage has come down to, soft tissue damage that just needs to heal. 

For me, I want to get on the bike straight away. My friend Cathal, what a champ, has borrowed his dad's turbo trainer for me to hook my bike up to once I get it back from the shop. Oh yes, the bike. The bike was more or less fine; I had to loosen the brakes on the front as the wheel was out of true, and the back wheel could do with a re-true too. The right drop on my handlebars was bent inward about an inch, and since it's aluminium it can't be re-bent as that would add a weak point in the crease. The bar tape got all torn up on that side too. 

Currently the bike is with Stevie in UBikeWithUs off Anglesea St (great guy, will feature in a post about the different shops later). He's going to affix the new (green) bar tape to the new handlebars he's ordered in for me, true the wheels, and fix out the rear tyre to my old one (for the turbo trainer). I should be sorted soon. 

So hopefully I can get pedalling in the coming week, not going anywhere but I need to maintain the regime if I hope to be in shape for The Ring of Kerry. I think the West Cork 200 is out of the question now. Three weeks till then.. that's within my six week recovery. I can hope for the RoK though. 

Not cycling for two weeks when usually there was only a day out of seven I might not be on the bike, has been tough. I've seen so many cyclists, we've had such amazing weather, and having to get the bus for my last week of work on Campus was absolutely vile. Things are looking up though. We motor on.


My new Scott kit arrived only the Monday after the accident, so that's been hanging on the back of my door taunting me. I endured some pain to try it on anyway, it's maybe a little tight, but we'll work on that. Since then I've tried it on a few times, keeping myself motivated. Holy moley the chamois is amazing. It even has a little 'armour' up front. I can't wait to test it on the bike when I'm using the trainer. 

While I've been off the bike I've been thinking about selling my Giant again in the hopes of getting a commuter with road geometry and appropriate drop bars. I can't stand using a flat bar. It's uncomfortable. So I've offered it up again to my Facebook contacts, and have been looking into getting a vintage bike. 

I'll cover that endeavour in another post however, possibly in the next few days after I see what I might be able to do. 

Do note however, that today I was given a free Viking 5 speed road bike. Perfect frame size for me, just needs a little tlc. It means I don't have to sell the Giant to sort it, but it also doesn't guarantee I won't need to. Below is the fine steed during some of the mild cleaning I was doing (note the bar tape removed on one side, this stuff was sticky!).


So I'll leave you with all of that. I know I meant to keep posts short but it doesn't really look like I'm capable of that once I start typing. 

Regarding my playlist, although I wasn't listening to it while writing this as I was actually watching Breaking Bad season 3, I think it is aptly named for the event covered. Also, the album is fantastic. It is The National's new album that only came out a week or so ago. It's more of their usual stuff, but by no means does more of their usual equate to a bad thing; I love it. I've also been listening to, obviously, the new Daft Punk album, Random Access Memories. So my playlist for the last while has been both The National and Daft Punk equally. I love their new album too, it's a tribute to the music that got them to where they are today, their inspirations. The collaboration work has been fantastic, and the album is a great representation of their work and just how flexible Daft Punk really are. 


Correction, I'll leave you with what appears to be a highlighter-attacked chest! Yes, that's the bruise on my chest at the moment. Showed up after two days and has been there since. 




Well there we go, hope you enjoyed my injury. At least someone should! 

Cycle safe, 

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.